Thursday, December 9, 2010

30 Days Of Comics: Day 16: A Comic You Own More Than One Copy Of

Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane #7

This is the only issue of this series that I own. I may have read some of the earlier ones, but if I have read this issue, it does not stand out for me. It is the second part of a four issue story arc. It has a manga-influenced look to its art, which is something I do not care for.

And I have a total of 12 copies of this comic book in my collection.

The reason is simple: my daughter.

Before my son was born, my little girl would do EVERYTHING for me. She wanted comic books and action figures and to watch baseball games and Star Wars with me.

She still does all of that, but from birth until some time after the above comic came out, comics were everything for her. So much so, she wanted to write a letter to the writer of this comic.

She composed a letter and with my help sent it off to Marvel. Her letter was printed in this issue. I tried to get a photo of her letter (as I have no scanner) but couldn't swing it (no pun intended).

It is a rambling letter. It reads like she is trying to be "grown up" and "serious". It is so "her".

Anytime I visit a new comic shop in my travels, I will look in their back issues and pick up a copy of this book.

I sometimes get these grand notions that my collection might mean "something" some day....not for any huge value but recognized for complete runs or conditions or...something. When I think about it being looked over and discussed after I am gone, I would love for there to be some puzzlement over the scores and scores of copies of this issue I eventually amass.


3 comments:

  1. Aw, that's a sweet story. I was going to mention that I am an idiot and don't bother writing down what issues I need to complete my Power Man & Iron Fist run, so at the comic show that I go to every other month I inevitably purchase an issue or two I already have (from the dollar comic boxes) but your story is SO much better! I do have two copies of Starman #0 because I love Robinson's series so much and Harris's painted covers. The second copy I have is signed by both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recently I was using up Paypal money at two different comic sites AND had my list in front of me (comparing prices) but still managed to buy the same comic from both places!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and it wasn't an issue of Starman #0's caliber!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there!

whos.amung.us

My Favorites