Friday, June 29, 2012

Film Festival Friday: 6/29/12

Another week, another batch of movies!

Currently #74 on my flickchart list.
The week started very rainy here in Vermont. I took advantage of that and spent some time Monday on the computer working on my comic book database and put "Serenity" on in the background.

I am a late-to-the-party Whedon fan.  I had read his comic book runs on "Astonishing X-Men" (enjoyed it) and "Runaways" (caused me to drop the book) but hadn't seen any of his TV work.  We were fans of Nathan Fillion from "Castle" and once The Armchair Squid shared he had enjoyed "Firefly", we hunted down the series and become instant converts.

I'm not sure how the movie works as a stand alone film as I've not spoken to anyone who has seen it but NOT seen the show.  The phenomenal opening tracking shot (actually TWO shots nicely cut together) does a great job of introducing you to the main characters and setting up the story.  It is action packed, funny, grim and exciting!

Currently #124 on my flickchart list
Tuesday's comic session had "Live Free or Die Hard" with Bruce Willis playing in the background.  I went with the unrated version.  I remember seeing this in the theater when it was PG-13 and realizing how badly they had erred by going with a lower rating.  Die Hard NEEDS to be an R rated adventure. 

Currently #37 on my flickchart list
Each summer, I try to send my new class of students a postcard every couple of weeks.  On Wednesday, it was time to send out the first batch.  "Predator" with Arnold Schwarzenegger seemed to be a good choice to have on in the background.


Currently #41 on my flickchart list
Last night Nan and I watched "North By Northwest" with Cary Grant.  What a great movie, from start to finish.  I think a Hitchcock week is in order.  The Armchair Squid recently talked about starting his daughter on some Hitchcock movies....I think that is a GREAT idea!

1 comment:

  1. I think the movie on a whole does a better job of selling Whedon's vision than the series did, possibly because River Tam is able to drive the plot a little more, the way she should have from the start. I think another movie would cement the franchise, now that Summer Glau is an acknowledged star, and would be able to carry even more of the story.

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there!

whos.amung.us

My Favorites