Monday, August 23, 2010

"Is Fenway Park the one with the big green wall?"

I've been trying to figure out how to best blog about our trip. It was truly awesome, from beginning to end.

The ride down was great. I can't remember the last time a drive into Boston went as smoothly. And we made great time, too.

Our hotel room was...interesting. It was, without a doubt, the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in. It was right above the air conditioning unit for the whole hotel and next to the helicopter pad for the hospital (though there was only one landing while we were there). It seemed like one of those rooms they give a character in a movie when there are no other rooms left.
(not our room....but close...)

We arrived with plenty of time to spare. We stretched and rested until about 4:45 or so and then started walking to Fenway. We met Marc halfway down Brookline. We had a GREAT dinner at a non-Taco Bell Mexican food chain called Chipotle Mexican Grill.

We got to Yawkey Way and Logan spent some time shopping for a souvenir. He got a stuffed Wally and garb bag of baseball cards. He also got Wally painted on his cheek!

I had some worries about the boy lasting long into the game if we wandered around for too long before the first pitch but he did great.

Our seats were high in right field, which gave us a nice view of EVERYTHING. Logan was particularly happy when they started the wave...

And it was a great game. I spent some of it commenting on how much taller or shorter some of the players were but that their weight was significantly different than mine (as I approach 40, I no longer have the ability to eat what I want and when I want, so to learn Adrian Beltre is 1 inch shorter and 10 pounds heavier made me happy....even if that 10 pounds is all muscle!)

As I said previously, I had never seen the Sox beat Toronto. At the end of the 5th, the Sox were up 4 to 1 and were looking REALLY good. However, a trip to the concession stand and the Jays score three. We're still tied in the 9th when Nan and I start to look at each other and figure out what we are going to do. Logan has been patient (reading, listening to his iPod, watching the game) but it has been a long day and who knows when this thing would end.

The number 2 through 4 batters are due up in the bottom of the 9th. Drew walks on full count to start things off. We're going nuts. However, Martinez pops out and Ortiz hits into the shift for an inning ending double play.

We talk it over and agree that we will do the 10th. It's a quick inning for both teams and we get ready to go as Papelbon's music starts. Logan starts grooving to it, but still wants to go.

I texted that night to some co-workers who were at the game, that I am a huge Sox fan, but try to be an even better we head out.

We get a text halfway to the hotel that Lowrie hit a walk off and the Sox won. A little disappointed to not see it, but we had such a relaxed walk to the hotel. Logan didn't complain at all and the streets weren't packed.

(not the true walk off pic)

The next day we took our time heading home. I got to do something else I hadn't done all summer, as we went to three comic book stores on the ride home (Comicopia in Boston, Double Midnight in Concord, and Funnybook Factory in Hanover). I picked up two comics in Hanover, and Logan got something at all three stops.

So it was the perfect ending, to the perfect weekend of a most perfect summer....

I've said it before and I will say it again...I am a VERY lucky man...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there!


My Favorites