Tuesday, April 21, 2009

What I Was Reading....Until Last Night

The Catch: A Joe Gunther Novel (Joe Gunther) The Catch: A Joe Gunther Novel by Archer Mayor


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
After the last few Gunther novels, my expectations were low. (While on my latest reading jag, I read one of the books without even realizing I had already read it before!)



This one was a bit better. Once again, most of the action takes place outside of Vermont, but this time it did not seem as forced as the last few novels. Most of the references to Joe's age have been muted (I think, if the timeline for his life established way back in Open Season was still being followed, Gunther would be over 70 years old) and the background stuff for new readers did not seem so ham-fisted.



While with a lot of Mayor's books, the ending seems slightly rushed and dependent on far too many coincidences, overall it was worth reading, especially if you are a fan of the genre, had given up on Mayor or have a couple of days to kill.


View all my reviews.




Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there!

whos.amung.us

My Favorites