Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Something I Learned Because of Comic Books

Some days it seems I am all caught up with the current Internets so I go back and find old things to read.  I was looking at CBR's Comic Book Easter Eggs this past weekend.

In a post from February 21, there was this nugget....

...let’s just take a look at the sound effects in issues #1 and #2 [of American Flagg], where Chaykin used The Rivington’s hit 1962 song, “Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow,” as sound effects during two separate gun battles…



and


Well, Brian Cronin then writes:

"The Rivingtons later had another hit in 1963 with “The Bird is the Word.”"


This momentarily confused Nan and I, as well as some commenters in the thread.  A little digging and we discovered that the Rivington's had two seperate songs, "Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow" in 1962 and "Bird Is The Word" in 1963.



and




We thought they were the same song.....and we were sort of right.

Apparently, later in 1963, a group called The Trashmen mashed both songs together and passed it off as an orignal composition called "Surfing Bird".  Some leagal wrangling later and The Rivingtons received credit!




...and now you know the whole story....

1 comment:

  1. Like I often say, Thank goodness for trashmen! Did not know the history of this song, but have always enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there!

whos.amung.us

My Favorites