Friday, September 24, 2010

I'm Watching This One



The ads for all the ESPN Films in the 30 for 30 series have been impressive. I find myself pulled in whether the ad is on TV or the radio even when I have had little to no interest in the subject matter previously.

"Four Days In October" premieres on Tuesday October 5 at 8:00 PM and I will be there. Red Sox-Yankees is what it is all about (even the Armchair Squid, an ORIOLES fan, gets sucked in sometimes) and the story of this video was blogged about better than I can do in other places.

Suffice it to say, EVERYTHING about 2004 can bring tears to my eyes and give me chills. I remember being in our local grocery store the night of Game 4 of the World Series and EVERYONE talking to each other like we were the best of friends. We still had that fatalistic streak that had us convinced that after winning four in a row against the Yanks, we could easily drop four in a row to the Cards.

And the old superstitions reared their heads. I had popped a beer during each of the losses against the Yankees. Didn't have one for game 4 and lo and behold they won. While the rational part of my brain knew there PROBABLY wasn't a connection, I couldn't risk it. The next beer I had was at 11:40 on October 27th as Renteria grounded back to Foulke and Foulke turned and tossed the ball to Mientkiewicz at first and the Sox were the World Champions.

I raised the bottle to my grandfather who never got to see the Sox win it all and hugged both my sleeping kids with tears streaming down my face.

I am watching this on the 5th and I will be buying this on DVD.


From MLB Productions:

When the night of October 16, 2004 came to a merciful end, the Curse of the Bambino was alive and well. The vaunted Yankee lineup, led by A-Rod, Jeter, and Sheffield, had just extended their ALCS lead to three games to none, pounding out 19 runs against their hated rivals. The next night, in Game 4, the Yankees took a 4-3 lead into the bottom of the ninth inning, then turned the game over to Mariano Rivera, the best relief pitcher in postseason history, to secure yet another trip to the World Series. But after a walk and a hard-fought stolen base, the cold October winds of change began to blow. Over four consecutive days and nights, this unlikely group of Red Sox miraculously won four straight games to overcome the inevitability of their destiny. Using extensive archive coverage from that week, Major League Baseball Productions will produce a film in "real-time" that takes an in-depth look at the 96 hours that brought salvation to Red Sox Nation and made baseball history in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there!

whos.amung.us

My Favorites