Thursday, October 8, 2009

What I'm Reading

Split Second (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #1) Split Second by David Baldacci


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Do you remember when you first saw Star Wars? If you are a certain gender and a certain age, it was THE defining movie of your childhood. You were either Luke or Han when you played. You craved everything Star Wars.

Then The Empire Strikes Back came out and it added so many layers. You were blown away. “No....I am your father” rocked your little mind. Yoda letting the audience know “No. There is another” led to rampant speculation for a few years about where the story was going to go next.

And then we got Return of the Jedi which pretty much showed us that George Lucas was just making this stuff up as he went along. Luke and Leia are brother and sister and it was always Lucas' intention? Watch the kiss in Empire again and tell me if you believe that.

And then he made the “real” first three and things get out of control. Chewbacca and Yoda are “old friends”? Kenobi and Anakin are enemies for about 30 seconds before Obi Wan runs and hides for twenty years but watch the first one and Kenobi is calling Vader “Darth”, as if it was his name and they knew each other for awhile.

Basically, Lucas was winging it. Granted, it is probably one of the most successful wing its in wing it history but still....

A long winded way to get into this review, but “Split Second” was the first novel where Michelle Maxwell and Sean King meet each other, but it is the fourth of their adventures I have read. Some of their back story has been hinted at in the other novels I read but all of those novels were accessible so I didn't really worry about it.

Now having read this story, I am even more appreciative of the “world” that David Baldacci has created. The narrative thread is strong and while some of the situations are obviously a little far fetched (kidnapped Presidential candidates, underground bunkers, and villains renovating derelict buildings while no one notices) the story is engaging and keeps you guessing.

I seem to be in a rut as to the type of story I am reading these days but I am really okay with that.

Next three: “The Race” by Patterson, “Hell to Pay” by Pelecanos and something by Michael Connely.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there!

whos.amung.us

My Favorites