Saturday, October 24, 2009

What I Read....Recently

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
On Friday, I had a few hours to kill at the doctor's office so I grabbed a DCF nominated book to read in the waiting room.

There seems to be a sub-genre of post-apocalyptic dystopian horror type books in children's literature these days. There also seems to be a need for authors to create series or at least trilogies right away.

I did enjoy this book but it seemed to be unnecessarily and unrelentingly bleak. Sort of a "Running Man" meets "Survivor" but with children.

I was discouraged when the librarian told me that "the next book" was in stock, as I knew that meant and unsatisfying conclusion. With a little editing and some forethought, this could have easily been a strong stand alone novel.

I do not see myself wishing to read the sequels.

View all my reviews >>


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there!

whos.amung.us

My Favorites